We are all artists, shaping ourselves, each other, and
our environment. Free Form Art provides a loose structure to guide you
thru the creative process. Get engaged, and enjoy impact.
INDEX 2014 - 2019
INDEX 2005 - 2010
Use Nature's Patterns. How do we absorb the world around us? What do
we know? What have others gathered?
- Expand your toolbox with patterns
- Integrate reality
- Accept mistakes (outliers, exceptions) as an essential element of
- Understand cycles and impermanence
Lesson Plan: Perception and Principals
Engage your surroundings and knowledge...
- Flowers. Look in illustrations, books, the internet,
your garden, the woods, a park. Consider flowers. Notice the variety:
tall, wispy, straight, orderly, pointed, blustery, beautiful. Draw the
- Wood. Look at cut wood surfaces in home design, furniture,
the store, the internet. Pine lumber at the home supply store is ideal.
Notice different types of wood grain and the knots where limbs have
grown. Get the gist of cross sections of intersecting circular growth.
Draw what you learn.
- Wind. Feel, listen, and look at the effects of the
wind. Feel your hair, watch a flag or sail, listen to the trees. Understand
the tempo, ebb and flow. Get to know patterns and outliers. Draw what
- Shadows. Look for shadows. Inside, outside, with
different types of lighting. Note the interesting, surprising shapes
that you find. Draw what you see.
- Footprints. Look for footprints. In the sand, in
tall grass, on rainy days. Note the partial shape that is left behind.
Draw what you see.
- Debris. Look for debris. Fallen leaves, grass clippings,
onion peels. Note the shapes and clustering that occurs. Draw what you
Patterns / Traditions
- Ornamentation. Consider traditions. Search the internet
for Greek, Arabian, New Zealand, etc., patterns found in rugs, china,
blankets, etc. Draw patterns that you find.
- Repeating Patterns. Research Zentangle (www.zentangle.com).
Learn to make hundreds of patterns in a relaxing step by step method.
Draw repeating patterns.
- Circular Arrangements. Research Mandela. Learn to
organize patterns in a balanced, circular format. Compose patterns.
Cycles of Life
- Linear. Consider linear progression. We are born,
grow, and die. Consider parallel progression. We befriend others, experience
events, laugh. Draw long lines, thickening across the page.
- Cyclical. Consider cyclical movement. The sun rises,
sets, and rises again. Draw evenly spaced looping lines. Consider spirals.
Draw loops that increase or decrease in radius.
- Radiating. Consider radiating energy. Solar rays
continuosly eminate from the entirety of the round sun. Waves circle
out from a drop of water. Draw circles. Encircle them with spokes, more
circles. Imagine the energy.
Cause and Effect
- Tighten. Stretch cloth tight. Notice how wrinkles
disappear. Tighten your fist. Notice the change in texture of skin over
your knuckles. Imagine a rope stretched to breaking point. Draw the
- Loosen. Relax and tighten your fist. Notice the movement
of tendons. Imagine the changes within. Imagine a sheet thrown loosely.
Draw the undulating curves.
- Impact. Punch your hand. Push your chair. Tear a
piece of paper in half. Notice different types of impact (feeling, movement,
separation). Draw the whole paper, and beside it, the torn halves.
- Stack. Draw layer on top of layer of different patterns.
Like a hamburger with all of the sides. Pile the variety high. Imagine
a cross section. Imagine the pile toppling over. Imagine twisting the
- Surround. Draw a circle inside of a circle inside
of a circle. Keep repeating until you run out of room. Now reverse directions
and encircle a circle with a circle. Try centered and uncentered. Try
a cluster of shapes encircled by larger clusters of similar shapes.
- Revolve. Draw a ladder. Between the first two rungs,
add a square, circle, diamond, and triangle. In the second rung, vary
the amounts of these four shapes. Continue mixing it up. Notice the
variety of combinations.
PREVIOUS / NEXT
Customizable T-shirts allow you to add your own images and text.
Zazzle and Saatchi Online are leaders in their venue, and offer guarantees
of their work.
Your consideration, feedback, and referrals are like gold.
© C Pembroke 2019